Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

horrible floor "joists"

Visiting Guest

09-14-04, 01:56 PM   #1  
thisoldpos
horrible floor "joists"

I am currently in the process of remodeling my newest purchase. Essentially, it once consisted of just one room, and then over time several additions were built on. All of the floor joists are 2x4 and the max span anywhere is about 7 feet and this is all in a tight crawl space. I've already gutted the whole place, moved a few walls, and planned out everything. The bathroom is now larger to accomodate the whirlpool, shower, toilet, and vanity (not to mention the closet with the water heater and furnace).

What can I do to support an already sagging (about 2 inches) floor system that is going to have that much more weight added on to it? Replacing the floor/joists is not an option. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

09-15-04, 07:31 PM   #2  
Short of replacing & upgrading the joist system, best bet would be sister in addition 2"x4" and add blocking underneath. Any way you look at it you're got to beef up that floor and it's gonna cost $$. My opinion, worth the price charged.

Search this Thread