Can I rest floor joist on slab?

Old 09-14-04, 05:04 PM
LarryNY
Visiting Guest
Can I rest floor joist on slab?

Hello,

I had a foundation and slab poured for a new garage I am adding to my home. This will be an attached garage. The size is 15 x 37. I was going to use this space for a garage and work shop but have changed my mind and would like to add a 17 x 15 den to the back of the area instead of a workshop. Here is the problem. I would like to build this room on the same level as my current first floor. To do I will not have the required 18" of crawl space that is required by our town bldg code. I will have about 10-12" of crawl space? What are my options? Can I lay my joist right on the slab for a "sunken den"? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Old 09-14-04, 09:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why would you pour a floor, than build another floor on top of it?
Its only 15' x17', a days labor.
Another option, would be to import sand and pour a raised slab.
Or, pour a slab on grade and have a step down den.

Old 09-15-04, 10:07 AM
LarryNY
Visiting Guest
Pour Slab?

Hello Agian,

I am just trying to figure out what my options are? Are you saying put in some sand on existing slab than pour 4 inches of concrete? Are there any other alternatives?

Larry

Old 09-15-04, 12:01 PM
S
Sorry about that, its the 2nd time i've done this this week (slap).

Forget the "digout" part.

2x10 DF #2 or better should span the 15' and you have the ability to vent the area on two sides.

Assuming that there was a vapor barrier placed under the slab, that the slab has the proper foundation and is a min. of 6" above grade. I would additionally, clean and etch the slab, than apply Dryloc prior to framing over it.

Yes, the sand and pour is another alternative, as is the step down.

Old 09-15-04, 07:12 PM
If you've got a bldg permit and this project has to be inspected, you're going to have to follow local bldg codes, which are most likely based on BOCA now IRC codes, which would require the 18" min crawlspace, however you might be able to get a variance to get around this. If you're pullin permits for this project, I would highly advise talking to the local inspector and see what is acceptable and then proceed accordingly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: