'floating' a porch floor - how do I do it?

Old 09-15-04, 01:10 PM
sailor
Visiting Guest
'floating' a porch floor - how do I do it?

I've got a 4' x 22' porch over a crawl space that has a water proof membrane over the treated 3/4 plywood. I want to put a tongue and groove floor over this, but do not want to drive nails or staples through the membrane. How do I go about installing this floor so it 'floats' on the membrane? FYI there are posts the flooring could be cut around to hold it all in place.

ideas?

(here's a link to some photos of the whole build)

http://home.comcast.net/~waltersofbayport/mypage.html

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 04:45 PM
Floating wood floor

If you go with a nail down flooring product such as 3/4" solid hardwood, the nails will penetrate the membrane. Perhaps one of the new floating engineered wood floors would be a better solution.

Old 09-30-04, 04:46 AM
Just my $.02 worth here, so it's worth the price charged, but I wouldn't recommend or install any of the laminated floating floor products I've seen on the market. They're easy to install, look good at first, but a yr or two down the line, they will look like crap. I'd lay down a sturdy subfloor, 5/8" exterior grade plywood, NO OSB, then put down 30# felt and real solid wood TIG floor. If you shop around you can get it for $2-$3 per s/f , with a proper finishing job and care, that floor will out last your lifetime. You just can't beat real wood.

Very nice pic of your project and some super pics of the birthday party, great lookin bunch of kids, looks like a fantastic time was had by all!

Search this Thread