header joist/wall floor,nailing ?

Old 09-16-04, 04:49 PM
2pyrs
Visiting Guest
header joist/wall floor,nailing ?

Adding a second floor. Header joist sits on the cap plate, joists are 2x10x14" and are nailed to the header 16" OC. I then place the floor 4'x8 down and the wall goes up over all the above. Build wall laying down and then raise it up.
When the wall is up I nail it to the floor and the header. Since the header is 2x10 and the wall is 2x4 I don't understand how to nail it so that it is not at the edge of the header ? and don't I have to nail the wall to the joist ? what size nails should I be using on each of theses ? A 2x10 on the 2x4 only leaves 2" for the joist to set on. Should I be using joist hangers ? I hope I got the names of all this correct but I think you get the point I hope.

2pyrs

Old 09-16-04, 07:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The "header joist" is called a rim joist, the "cap plates" are double top plates and the rim joist is nailed to it with 16D's at 8" oc.
Besides the floor joists being nailed to the rim joist, they are also toe nailed to the double top plate and flat or shear blocked between each, with the blocks nailed to the double top plate and the joists.
Where the wall that you are standing is perpendicular to the floor joists, you nail one 16D to each joist and 16D's at 16" oc. to the rim joist.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: