Subfloor Pet Damage

Old 09-21-04, 11:25 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Subfloor Pet Damage

I just purchased a new to me house and found that the prior owner had let her dogs have the run of the family room. After pulling up the carpets, I found that dog urine had soaked through the carpeting and padding into the subfloor. The "wet" area covers about 3/4 of a 14'x24' room. It has taken about a week for the areas to dry. I want to put carpeting in this room. Do I have options or is a new subfloor in my future?

Old 10-09-04, 10:14 PM
dixiemartin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

caddyshck
we've owned out house for about ten years and our TV room the prior owner
had let her dogs have the run of the room. After pulling up the carpets, I found that dog urine had soaked through the carpeting and padding into the subfloor. We took the carpet out and cleaned the floor with Bleach, straight bleach and then let it dry and then covered it with plastic and had a new carpet put it. We thought be adding the plastic the dog smell wouldn't come back.
We are now remodeling our place and found that the sub floor smells now after removing the old floor and now wondering what to do about an old smell before putting on new flooring.

Old 10-09-04, 10:18 PM
T
Dog urine in subfloor

Most forum folks tned to report success sealing subfloor with a couple of coats of shellac-based primer/sealer like Zinnser or a couple coats of polyurethane to seal in pet odors.

Old 10-10-04, 12:53 AM
tae
when we moved into this house, we pulled up the carpet,soaked the edges of the walls/floor with vinegar,let it dry,sanded them with a belt sander lightly(only way to get the dirt off the hardwood),then sprayed kilz on it. put down new pad and carpet. we used vinegar,but pet supplies/vet offices have special products to kill the smell/bacteria of pet urine.

As long as the floor isnt rotted or warping, a good drying and cleaning should be ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: