how to patch a floor that is rotted out

Old 09-25-04, 04:20 PM
suzan
Visiting Guest
Question how to patch a floor that is rotted out

the house needs a new bathroom floor and a new laundry room floor. It also has a spot in the living room in need of repair. I have not had experience in fixing floors. I am mechanically inclined, but I do not know the lingo. Could this be explained in very basic terms? thank you for any and all help

Old 09-26-04, 11:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will need safety glasses, heavy gloves, a circular saw, a hammer, crow bar, and ply bar to remove the rotted flooring.
Of course, you will need to remove all cabinets, fixtures or appliances over the rotted flooring.
Adjust the blade to the depth (probably 5/8" or 3/4") of the flooring and saw it in about 2" squares along the middle of the adjoining joists with good flooring. Remove the bad flooring layer.
Next, do the same for the subflooring layer, being careful not to cut into the joists if you can help it.
Check the floor joists for damage. If any are damaged, sister a piece of joist to the damaged joists level with the top of the joists.
If it were me, I would use all pressure-treated lumber and plywood. When (not if) you have another leak in these areas, it will just discolor the wood, but it won't rot it.
Depending upon the contruction, you probably have 3/4" subflooring and 5/8" plywood flooring. If this is over an unheated basement or crawlspace, lay a layer of roofing felt over the subfloor (overlap at least 2") before installing the flooring level.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-27-04, 05:57 AM
suzan
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank You Mike!!!!

Thank you for answering in terms I could understand. The only thing I am not sure of is what "sister a piece of joist to the damaged joists level with the top of the joists" means. Could you explain this Please. Thanks again! You have been a great help to me!

Old 09-27-04, 07:56 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sister

means nail along side

Old 09-28-04, 07:07 PM
suzan
Visiting Guest
A Unique Name

Thank You!!!!!! That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. By-the-way I like your name!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: