Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing a roof vs trusses

Visiting Guest

10-01-04, 09:48 PM   #1  
Jimsch
Framing a roof vs trusses

At the gabled end of my ranch style house I am planning to build a 2 car garage. The house had a carport which was enclosed to form a "family/game room. I am planning on replacing a window from this room w/ a door to the proposed garage, pouring a slab and using concrete block for the walls. The house is 1 story block. What would be approximate floor dimensions to accomodate this? Typical sized garage door? . The walls will need to be 14 ft high then either framing or trussed roof. If I decide to do a 2 car door as well as a 1 car would this span be too wide to be framed thus needing trusses? I figure the space will probably be 40 ft wide to accomodate the 3 car design.

If framing would I start at the gable and nail a ridge beam with the end temporarily supported then rafters an estimated 20 FT long every 16 inches? How do you support the end of the ridge beam that otherwise would be "floating" while you add the rafters? Last but not least I will in all likelyhood be having this done for me by a pro but just want to know if I'm on the right track. I'm making some calls but want to have an idea of what should be done. Thanks to all.

Sponsored Links

MO

10-03-04, 05:52 AM   #2  
I always opt for using pre-made trusses vs stick framing a new roof. Prices for these products I'm sure will vary based upon the size of the roof and your location, but to give you an example, last roof we built for enclosing a porch, were, 23' long, 4:12 pitch, cost was $55 ea, delivered to the site. With myself and a 3 man crew, we set the trusses, sheeted the roof, felted it in in about 6 hrs.

Typical 2 car garage will measure something like 21' x 24', just all depends on what you want, and what can be done in your particular situation.

Search this Thread