Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom Floor Blues

Visiting Guest

10-02-04, 06:18 AM   #1  
Johnnyj49
Bathroom Floor Blues

I'm trying to repair a bathroom floor that has been leaking for some time. Once I get past the two sets of ceramic tile laid on top of each other and the wonderboard, I know the subfloor will need to be replaced. My question is if the plank flooring under the subfloor needs to be replaced is that replaced in the same fashion by cutting out pieces over the joists and inserting new ones? What type of woods is to be used 1X6 pine or some other hardwood?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links

MO

10-03-04, 05:45 AM   #2  
Well if things have progressed to the point that a total demo is required, and you're planning on laying ceramic tile back in this floor again, I would rip all of those planks out and start with a totally new fresh surface. Ideal choice would be to lay new exterior grade plywood over the joists, 2 layers of 5/8" is what is generally prescribed. The plywood should be screwed down to the joists along with glue. Second layer of ply also glued and screwed down. Then add a layer of CBU, durock is what I always use, this should be laid using thinset and again plenty of screws, I go every 8" on the screws. At that point you're ready to set new tile.

Even if you're not planning on putting down new tile, I'd still opt for removing all of the planks and replace with a sheet good, and IMO exterior grade ply is still the best thing to use in a bathroom. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Search this Thread