Posts for microlam beam

Old 10-02-04, 07:59 AM
davekaplan
Visiting Guest
Posts for microlam beam

What should I use for posts to support two 1-3/4" x 14" x 30' lvls?

I have a 100+yr old 1-1/2 storey frame house in chicago. Its on odd house with 2 giant support beams across the width and then floor joists running front to back, but then in the back of the house the floor joist switch direction. The posts in the basement look like telephone poles. The beams are 8x8, like giant railroad ties. I removed a wall on the first floor and I am replacing it with a doubled lvl beam. I have temporary support in place.

The plan is to position the new posts supporting the microlam over the posts in the basement... the microlam spans from the 1st post postion in the front of the house 16'-6" back to where the 2nd post is going and then another 16 feet to the 3rd post. What should I use for the posts?

thanks
dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-04, 05:55 AM
My choice for this would be adjustable steel posts, like what you'd use in a basement, once they are set in place, you can frame up around it and cover with drywall, or enclose the whole area in a wall.

Old 10-04-04, 07:44 AM
another option

might be a paralam post but without knowing the reaction at the bearing points it is impossible to tell if one would work so with the info provided I would agree with dell.

Old 10-07-04, 05:50 AM
davekaplan
Visiting Guest
Can you recommend a manufacturer or brand? Where can I get adjustable steel posts? I used some adjustable jack posts to shore when I jacked the house, but those are something else, right. I need posts that are somewhere around 9ft. Thanks guys!

Old 10-27-04, 02:19 AM
tgerard
Visiting Guest
Support Columns

If you get to the point where custom steel columns are required (jack posts are a bit flimsy at times from a load-transfer stanpoint), there are two reasonable custom metal fabricators in Chicago in the Fulton Industrial area: Showcase Metalworks and Miller's Eureka Welding. Both not flashy, expensive metalworkers.

Old 10-28-04, 09:45 PM
davekaplan
Visiting Guest
Thanks for those names. I'll hold on to them for future projects. I ended up getting a couple of 8'4" Tel-O-Posts from Home Depot. The single post ones, not the floor jack kind. The plan is to block up, which I guess I'd do anyway, to pick up the 3" or so I need to reach my 8'7" height to the bottom of the beam. The plan is to use the adjustable steel at the ends and a 6x6 Douglas Fir post for the middle of the 32' span.

I've built a couple of beam raising jigs with holes drilled every 12". A couple of pulleys go up next, then up it goes a foot at time, side to side. That is the plan anyway. Any advice?

Pictures of the beam (I still need to glue and nail) and the jigs.

Old 01-26-07, 12:38 PM
beam support

Originally Posted by davekaplan View Post
What should I use for posts to support two 1-3/4" x 14" x 30' lvls?

I have a 100+yr old 1-1/2 storey frame house in chicago. Its on odd house with 2 giant support beams across the width and then floor joists running front to back, but then in the back of the house the floor joist switch direction. The posts in the basement look like telephone poles. The beams are 8x8, like giant railroad ties. I removed a wall on the first floor and I am replacing it with a doubled lvl beam. I have temporary support in place.

The plan is to position the new posts supporting the microlam over the posts in the basement... the microlam spans from the 1st post postion in the front of the house 16'-6" back to where the 2nd post is going and then another 16 feet to the 3rd post. What should I use for the posts?

thanks
dave
Have you checked with an engineer to see if you lams are sized correctly, and if there is is telephone poles supporting in the basement then that should be a redflag there ....warning you that there is some serious weight that your looking at, ( hard to say with out seeing a picture)
Big Jax