Dry Rot on Joist

Old 10-04-04, 01:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dry Rot on Joist

Well, things happen for a reason. In an earlier post I had issues with dog urine on subfloor in an addition. While removing one of the 4x8 sheets of subfloor I found dry rot on an exterior wall framing plate. Inspection of the wood below has revealed extensive damage on the rim joist and plate from both moisture and mice. The mice chewed a hole through the rim joist from the outside to get in. I have a about a 4' section of the rim joist that is damaged. On top of that, the framing for the exterior wall in not over a supporting member, but was being supported by the subfloor. I have figured out that the most likely cause of the water is poor installation of the j channel on the siding around the gutter, in the inside corner of this addition. I am worried that there is additional damage that I am not seeing, inspections to take place. I assume that the wall will have to opened up interior and exterior to assess the damage and repair properly. What are the steps involved in remove/replacing the damaged sections, could this be a DIY, or is it strickly for the pro's?

Old 10-04-04, 10:31 PM
Unless you're an experienced carpenter or a very compentent diyer this would be one for a pro. Just my $.02 worth. If you want to try it yourself, post back with as much detail as possible and we'll try to advise you. Pics would probably help out alot if possible.

Old 10-12-04, 08:05 AM
C
The rim joist is 2x8x14' and is not for a load bearing wall. I have good wood for about 1' from where the rim joist starts at the orignal house, 3' of rot and the remaining joist is good. The crawl space has a poured concrete slab 2" thick. I have opened up the interior drywall and found water damage in the same sections of the 2x6 framing members and exterior sheathing, the worst being the 2x6 base wall plate. I have contractor quotes coming in from $5k to $10k for the repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: