floor support

Old 10-09-04, 10:15 AM
ginni
Visiting Guest
floor support

We're planning a conversion of a second floor bedroom into a master bath. Our current plan is for a separate tub (perhaps mod-sized 1 person soaking tub or air-jet) and separate shower. Planned tub placment is perpendicular to floor joists. Should existing joists be sufficient support? The house was built in mid-70's and current floor is level. Thanks!

Old 10-09-04, 11:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I would check code there. Are have some one look at this. The tube with water can be very heavy. So do check it out

ED

Old 10-09-04, 06:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
As Ed mentioned "check your local codes"... My residential building codes do not call out anything special for a bathroom. They treat all rooms the same.

If you are planning on installing a marble floor, stone shower with heavy glass, granite counters and a large cast iron tub then I would start to look at things more closely. ***All of this assumes that the original construction was proper. If shortcuts were taken originally than who knows what will happen.

Old 10-09-04, 10:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Floor support

Do check with local building inspector regarding any structural changes and permits. Building codes and enforcements tend to vary from area to area. It is always best to consult with professionals to protect the investment in your property.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: