floor leveling advice

Old 10-13-04, 10:28 PM
muddman
Visiting Guest
floor leveling advice

I have an old house with oak flooring that is in bad shape and have a few low and high spots. I want to put a new bamboo floor on top of it (nailed), but want to level the floor first. Can anyone recomend a good floor leveler? how thick can I put it on? how do I minimize the risk of it cracking underneeth the new floor? Is there anything beside acrylic modifier that would make it more durable?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 08:04 PM
dsn
Visiting Guest
I use a variety of ways to level floors. 'Fix it All' works well for small variations in height. There are also self leveling products out there that work well and are designed just for flooring. A belt sander works well for the high spots. Some times a few layers of 30# roofing felt works to. Read the leveling compounds instructions regarding the thickness, it is usually less than 1/4". If you have severe leveling problems you may have to fix it with wood shimming on the floor joists themselves. Look at your manufacturer installation instructions for subflooring requirements. If you have not corrected the level problems you may void your warrenty and end up with problems later. Good luck...