securing 2 x4 to slab

Old 10-14-04, 07:18 AM
danno 1
Visiting Guest
securing 2 x4 to slab

Hi everybody. I`m new here, and I`m putting up a dividing wall with 2 x 4 and sheetrock. It`s a straight wall, from one side of the room to the other, approx. 10ft. What are some suggestions on attaching the bottom stud along a slab floor? I know a Hilti is often used, but I don`t have one. Any other ways? Also, if the wall is up to the existing ceiling, what has to be done there? Also, where do you generally double up on the studs?

Old 10-14-04, 10:59 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powder actuated tools like the Hilti are probably the fastest way to do it. You can get cheaper versions of the tool for under $50 at Home Depot (and the expensive ones, too), but they shoot a smaller .22 caliber cartridge and they aren't as nice on the hands as the "pistol grip" styles.

I remember watching my dad finish our basement with a hammer and concrete nails to secure the soleplate 30 years ago, so I suppose that method still works today.

You should tie the new wall to "posts" in the existing walls. You can make a post in the existing walls by placing two new studs alongside an existing stud. Then, nail the wall ends into the posts. As for attachments at the top plate, you can simply nail the top plate to the ceiling joists. You can cut away the ceiling drywall or leave it. I've seen it done both ways in non-bearing wall additions.

As for "doubling up" studs, you normally have a "king stud" (full length stud) and a "trimmer stud" (a shortened stud) on each side of a door or window. The king stud goes on the outside, the trimmer stud goes on the inside of the opening. The trimmer stud supports the header over the opening. Also, studs are placed at 16" on center, and depending upon the length of the wall, you may have spots around a door/window or near the existing walls where you have a common stud fall within a few inches of the door/window or wall end, and thus two studs fall close together.

You can pick up a book on basic framing at your local home center. A book that gives a quick overview of basic additions is Ortho's "All About Additions." It's not as detailed or as comprehensive as a dedicated framing book, but it will show you the basics from start to finish.

Old 10-14-04, 01:37 PM
danno 1
Visiting Guest
Thanks AZATTY, I`m going to pick up that book today. I might take that technique from your father too!

Old 10-16-04, 05:52 AM
S
You can also use tap-cons which are available in various lengths and come with their own masonry bit.

Powder activated tools are available from rental centers.

Here is a link;http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf

Old 10-26-04, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wall

hi
I used a 3/8 hammer drill and used crip com nail or tap con screw to fastend
make sure the bottom 2X4 is pressure treated and place a plastic vapour barrier under it

cheers

pg

Old 10-27-04, 11:01 AM
A
another option

is to use a red hed. Similar in concept to a tap con.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: