New Kitchen Sub-Floor Question


Old 10-17-04, 04:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question New Kitchen Sub-Floor Question

I am going to be helping remodel my mothers kitchen this weekend and had a question. She had a water issue and now has water damage to her floor. It appears we will also have to replace the sub-floor (or a portion of) as well. I have been advised to use 3/4" plywood and also 3/4" particle board. Which one is better to use? I would have thought the plywood, but I don't really know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-04, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I had to also replace a section of my subfloor due to having ceramic tile on it that when removed, pulled chunks of the wood with it. The rest of my floor was 3/4" OSB (Oriented Strand Board) so that it what I used. I would recommend using what is already down and if you cannot tell what it is, the OSB or plywood in 3/4" size should due as long as it is the same thickness as what is already there.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-04, 09:54 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: I_dont_know
Posts: 175
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that is kind of a personal preference thing

I personally don't think there is a distinct advatage between the two. I would exterior grade since it is in an area that might get wet again. That is the only suggestion that I have.
Old 10-19-04, 10:19 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,818
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Skip particle board. Use 3/4" plywood. Particle board is not an appropriate underlayment. Substrate is determined by type of floor covering. Yes, you can cover particle board with 1/4" plywood recommended as vinyl underlayment, but still concerned about attachment because particle board is just glue and saw dust. If not specified, chemical migration can cause discoloration problems if you do not use appropriate vinyl plywood underlayment. For tile you will need concrete 1/2" concrete underlayment. For hardwood you will need 3/4" plywood underlayment. If room, is not too large, perhaps you can find vinyl remnant to keep costs down install over 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl. Installers tend to charge a leg and arm unless you plan this as a DIY project. Compare costs and options. When it comes to elderly moms on fixed incomes we tend to take the more conservative approach unless they are flush with cash, which is most often not the case. If the situation is such that the home is located in a high resale area, then this might be an opportunity to prepare the property for high resale. One never wants to be the most expensive or the least expensive house in the neighborhood.

If your mom is elderly then you need to start thinking about getting affairs in order. Who signs the check book. Living wills and putting property and check books in your name. If she has to go to nursing home, they will take everything in her name. Check the laws in your state and CYA.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: