To Subfloor or not to SubFloor

Old 10-18-04, 11:28 AM
glensh
Visiting Guest
To Subfloor or not to SubFloor

I'm putting laminate flooring on my concrete basement floor. My basement doesn't leak (yet anyway) but I have a sump pump that is quite active for about 4 months a year.

To protect from any future foundation leaks or sump pump breakages I am considering putting down a subfloor called Platon (http://www.systemplaton.com/). This will give a 3/4" gap before any water gets to the laminate. One contracter told me not to do this because he says a subfloor is useless if it is not vented well.

I'm really undecided on whether it is worth the extra effort and money putting the subfloor down or not. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 06:49 AM
farmall
Visiting Guest
The platon is certainly better than nothing, and the dimples in it coupled with 1/4 inch gap around the perimeter are supposed to provide an air gap for ventilation. I think most basement water problems involve small amounts of water that run across the floor and would for the most part be isolated from your flooring by the platon. Because of the ventilation, a floor fan will dry it out in no time should the basement get wet.

Old 10-20-04, 01:57 PM
You could always consider DriCore (www.dricore.com) which is basically 2'x2' panels with the platon attached to the bottom. Modular system easily installed by a DIYer. Available at the orange plague.