Adding 2nd floor to balloon frame room

Old 10-25-04, 09:54 PM
dwhitney
Visiting Guest
Adding 2nd floor to balloon frame room

I have a 14'x18' room at one end of the house that is a 2x6 16" OC balloon framed cathedral ceiling room. At the low point (front and back) it is about 12' high and at the apex, about 18'-19' high.

I am planning on putting in a second floor and having the roof re-done (taken off and reframed to accomodate the second floor room as it is too low now for that...) next summer by a contractor. However I am trying to get the ceiling for the lower room (floor joists for the to-be 2nd floor) in this fall and get the downstairs finished this winter.

Question I have is how to attach the - what would normally be rim-joists - to the balloon framed 2x6's to have a secure attachment. I don't believe face nailing alone would be sufficient and I haven't been able to locate any tie connectors that allow for a joist to be attached perpendicular to the 2x6.

Are there connectors out there for this type of thing or is this one of those "you need to consult a structural engineer" situations?

I'm guessing that letting-in the rim joist to the existing 2x6's is an option (I do see that Simpson has a tie connector for this type of setup...) but that seems to be tremendously labor intensive and I haven't an idea as to how to efficiently notch the 2x6's to accomodate the joists.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-26-04, 11:17 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm doing an addition that hits the same basic issues, but the location is different. Our designer has told us to get the engineering work done.

Of course, a guy up the street just tied a 2x8 ledger into the wall and used joist hangers to build a second floor over his open space, but I'm not sure if his house is balloon or standard framing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: