Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing subfloor

10-28-04, 08:38 AM   #1  
Replacing subfloor

I'm prepping some rooms for hardwood and have a subfloor issue. The subfloor is made up of 5/8" plywood coverd by 5/8" MDF. I have pulled up the MDF and am going to replace it with 5/8" plywood. What is the preferred method of laying the new subfloor? I've heard suggestions such as lay roofing felt between the two, lay at a 45 degree angle, do not attach the second layer to the joists... I orginally was thinking about laying the secondlayer 90degrees to the first layer, using contruction adhesive to bond the two layers and screw the second layer into the joists. Which way will give me the stiffest floor and last the longest?

Merlin

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

10-29-04, 07:14 PM   #2  
Felt

Felt should only go between the top subfloor and the hardwood.

The felt is there to act as a vapor retarder and to eliminate squeeks between the subfloor and hardwoods.

Visiting Guest

10-29-04, 08:32 PM   #3  
dsn
I would not put the felt b/t the layers. I would screw and glue the 2nd layer of plywood. I would alternate the seams and leave a small gap between all edges to leave room for expansion. Good luck.

Search this Thread