enlarged doorway load bearing wall

Old 11-02-04, 06:24 AM
enlarged doorway load bearing wall

Hi all - I'd like to open the stairway from 32 inches to 50. At present we need to bring boxsprings/bedroom furniture in through 2nd floor window.

I'm planning on constructing a wall inside the existing, then removing the 18" section - leaving the remaining 8 ' intact. Currently the walls are 2 x 4 - can I use 2x4's when adding this "new" wall? I could use 2x6 across top and at either end - however it's a tiny room and using 2x6's across bottom or in center of wall will cause problems with cabinet configuation (it'll push them out far enough that applicance doors will hit them).

On a side note - I have installed new doorways in a load bearing wall - on that project walls were 2 x 6. I usually deal with older homes - some are 2 x 3 construction most are 2x4. I tend to over build when framing - but on this project it will cause problems with cabinets.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 08:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You Can Do Nothing

You can do nothing in Pennsylvania without having a full engineer's study and plan done of your home and an engineer's proposal sent to the State for review.

Without knowing the overal dimensions of your home, the size of your existing floor and ceiling joists, their spans, the loads, your foundation and basement beam supports and much more....no one can answer here ...and why our State of Pennsylvania requires an engineer's examination and report for code purposes before such alterations are permitted and undertaken..