Possible glue failure of subfloor plywood

Old 11-20-04, 01:23 PM
Possible glue failure of subfloor plywood

I need some advice. We built our house in 1986. We wall-to-wall carpeted most of the house and for the first 10 years everything seemed fine but then the squeaks and pops started. It seems to me that the glue (either the plywood or construction adhesive) may now be failing in major areas of the flooring.

A little history. We had used 3/4 in. T&G plywood for the subflooring --nailed and glued with construction adhesive. Unfortunately, before the house was finally roofed in, we had a significant period of daily rain over a month's period. Construction was pretty much put on hold during this period. Plenty of water ended sitting on the subflooring.

We now want to rip up the carpeting and install laminated hardwood veneer flooring but I would like to have opinions as to how to strengthen the existing subfloor and stiffen up the underlayment to eliminate the pops and squeaks. My thoughts are to trowel adhesive over the existing floor, add a layer of 3/8 to 1/2 in plywood and every 6" screw the sandwich to the joists.

Is this an acceptable approach or are there problems with this approach? Does anyone have other suggestions for resolving this type of problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-04, 05:37 AM
Pretty good plan you've formulated, only thing I would add is once the carpet & pad is removed, I'd go over the existing subfloor carefully and anyplace you can detect movement in it add additional screws to tighten things up. Then add you new layer of subfloor. Good luck.