Header help

Old 11-26-04, 12:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Header help

I have a basic ranch, and I'm looking to expand my kitchen out the back. I will need to remove the back wall which is 20 feet long, and support it with an I-Beam, or laminated lumber.

Has anyone done something similar, and what would be the best approach?

Thank you,....marc
Old 11-26-04, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,749
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
First, here is the "bla, bla, bla..." Contact your Building Inspections Dept. and get the proper permits... contact an engineer.

The large monster stores (Lous, and Hone Depot) sell some things that may work, but you are on your own. If you contact your local building supply company (the place that supplies the contractors) they might be able to help you. Many truss and engineered lumber companies will provide the engineering for free if you buy their product. You can use steel, but I don't know how you can get the engineering free.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: