Concrete Slab... Cracked and Raised

Old 12-05-04, 03:52 PM
stuemke
Visiting Guest
Question Concrete Slab... Cracked and Raised

Hi all. We are installing laminate flooring throughout our house (except bathrooms and kitchen). We ripped up the carpet in the living room and found a couple cracks that have us worried.

Standing on the cracks, you can feel (with your feet) that the area around the crack is slightly raised. The main crack extends from the front door, under the tile in the entryway (which caused a hairline crack in the tile), then runs the length of the living room, splitting into two smaller cracks that lead to the windows and to the back door. I placed the end of a 4 foot level on the peak of the crack, and it looks like we're about 3/8" from level by the end of the 4 feet.

We were thinking of just grinding down the high points, but I think we're in for more than we bargained for. Does anyone have ideas or know the next step we should take to get our floor level before laying the flooring? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-stuemke

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-04, 05:08 AM
The crack you're describing will only get worse and will eventually damage the new flooring since it's much more rigid than the carpeting was. I think I would repair the crack & level the slab with a layer of SLC, self-leveling cement.