Fire Stopping and Draft Stopping

Old 12-06-04, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Fire Stopping and Draft Stopping

Can someone explain what is meant by fire stopping and draft stopping? In order to have my framing inspected, I must have fire stopping and draft stopping installed. I am not sure what this refers to. Can someone help me understand?

Old 12-06-04, 01:37 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Your better off to check code there for where you are . they all ask for some thing different. For now are as I know it the fire stop is a 2x4 between two studs say halfway up in a wall. Now that draft stop here you have to use the foam like great stuff to fill in all the holes for wire and pipe that you drill in the plate and studs after they are all in. Some places call for a fire stop can be just drywall like in a basement where a stud wall hits the joist and there is a space from the plate to the sill plate. As I said call code there where you are is the best way to go.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: