Rough opening for bifolds

Old 12-08-04, 06:16 AM
jetsfan68
Visiting Guest
Rough opening for bifolds

I am building a closet- the idea is to have (2) 24" bifolds making a 48" opening. I made the rough opening about 49.5"- Should I make it wider?? Since I am just going to fasten the doors right to the studs-I'm not adding any other trim on the inside.

Old 12-08-04, 05:38 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bifold Rough Opening

The size of the vertical and horizontal rough opening can be different for each door, because not all bifolds are manufactured the same.

With bifolds, however, it is the finished opening that matters since these type doors are installed in finished openings, not rough openings.

The point is that the finished width is typically precisely 48" and the finished height precisely 80 5/8".

The rough openings will vary depending upon what material you use to finish the frame.

A rough width of 49" is required to give a finished opening of 48" given the finished surface material is 1/2" drywall. If the finished surface material will be 3/4" solid pine, then the rough opening increases to 49 1/2".

Likewise, to get a finished height of 80 5/8" using 1/2" drywall, the rough height will be 81 1/8" and when using 3/4" pine 81 3/8".

Old 12-21-04, 05:41 AM
markman100
Visiting Guest
Since you are talking about precise measurements, does the 80 5/8 finished height measure from the sub floor (in my case concrete basement floor), or from the top of the carpet?

Old 12-21-04, 06:54 AM
You need to allow height for the rough opening to accomodate the finish flooring, if it's carpet and pad probably figure 1/2" or so for that. HTH & happy holidays. :glocke:

Old 12-23-04, 06:25 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Depends

Originally Posted by markman100
Since you are talking about precise measurements, does the 80 5/8 finished height measure from the sub floor (in my case concrete basement floor), or from the top of the carpet?
Depends on what the door manufacturer says should be the rough opening height and how adjustable the pivot pin is that controls the door.

But generally speaking, the height is from the top of the finished floor if the hardware is mounted to the top of the finished floor or not.

For tile, hardwoods, etc...the height is from the top of the flooring.

For carpeting, the height is from the concrete or wood subfloor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: