Framing new shed

Old 11-28-04, 10:16 AM
DLuna
Visiting Guest
Framing new shed

I'm planning on having a shed built in my backyard. I prefer a wood frame. I've looked at what's available at the local home stores and don't care much for them. The construction of a shed isn't difficult to understand. I can afford
to pay a contractor to do the work but I'd really like try and do the work myself.
I'm looking at a structure 12' x 16'. Local codes don't require a permit if less than 200 s.f. and the foundation type is up to me. I prefer concrete but the 4 estimates I've received seem WAY too high so I may use a wood floor.
Am I kidding myself about doing this project? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-04, 05:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't say you're kidding yourself, should be pretty straight forward. HOWEVER, I would caution you to make sure before starting, that YOU can finish it. Not alot of contractors will add their work to your work(say their roof on top of your walls...or whatever), and I wouldn't either, liability issues should something go wrong, where did your responsibility end and their's begin??...hard to tell sometimes...and hard to prove.

Old 11-29-04, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I built a 12x16 shop with 12' ceilings, did it completely by myself and used 'house type' construction.

If you want more info, let me know and I'll type something up for you.

I'm estimating here, but 12x16, 6" thick is about 4 yards, concrete (last I checked) was running about $100 a yard. Plus the cost of your forms and j-bolts. Doing the labor yourself, I'd think it shouldn't cost you more than about $600 total to go with concrete.

Old 11-29-04, 07:06 PM
C
Originally Posted by Pendragon
I'm estimating here, but 12x16, 6" thick is about 4 yards, concrete (last I checked) was running about $100 a yard.

Must be cheaper here in east Tennessee...My father just paid about $65/yard. Of course, he was buying 27 yards (driveway). So far, he has around 150 yards of concrete in his new home project. That said, I imagine he is getting a good deal from the supplier.

Last edited by chirkware; 11-29-04 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-04, 07:18 PM
DLuna
Visiting Guest
I've given it quite a bit of thought and I'm confident I'll be able to complete the work myself. I agree no contractor is going to want to finish anything I start. I'll just take a little extra time and care to be sure I get it right.
I'm also open to additional building tips. Anything you want to share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-30-04, 06:18 AM
Chirk, was that fiber reinforced, or did he install rebar?

I forgot to add in the cost of rebar, but $100 a yard will get you fiber reinforced, so rebar isn't really needed.

Here's some basic numbers I cooked up last night based on a wood foundation, 12x16 with 12' ceiling (gives lots of long term storage space)..

several bags of concrete mix and gravel
5 4x4x8 posts
11 joists (2x8x12) (16" OC)
45 studs, 2x4xwhatever height you want (16" OC (with a few left over for bracing))
8 trusses, made of 1 2x4x12 and 3 2x4x8's each (24" OC)
6 sheets, 3/4" marine grade plywood
30 sheets, 1/2" OSB (for roof and siding underlayment)
22 sheets, 1/2", 5 ply plywood (for interior walls)
56 feet of PT 2x4, I'd get 2 12' and 4 8' for bottom plates
112 feet of 2x4, various lengths, for top plates, again 2 12' and then mix it up with some 10' and 8' to make up the rest.
misc materials such as joist hangers, hurricane straps, truss plates, a ton of nails, etc.

Here are some pictures before it was completed, I didn't have a digital camera until very late in the building process, so nothing of the build process.
It took me pretty much the summer to build in between working, weather, etc.

http://www.gulfcoastriders.com/membe.../gallery/shop/

Then, add in any doors and windows, electrical, plumbing, mechanical.

I think I spent about $5k on mine, I used a commercial type roll up door (which was $900 by itself), but it's well built (didn't loose a thing from it in Hurricane Ivan) and you could live in it if you needed to, it's fully insulated, has heat, air and plumbing, phone and cable.

Old 12-01-04, 08:37 AM
Nice pictures of shop

That's a very nice shop structure. Insulating it as well as the heating/cooling should make it useful year-round.

Did you have some help at first to get the walls, roof and shingles in place?

Old 12-01-04, 09:52 AM
Thanks.. it only takes about 20 minutes to heat/cool when I want to use it for something that needs a steady temp.

Nope, no help at all. I wasn't that difficult, but a good (tall) ladder and a nail gun will do wonders. Some help would certainly decrease the build time, but none was available to me and I wasn't in a big hurry anyway.

Old 12-08-04, 04:43 PM
speaker
Visiting Guest
Shed

DLUNA,
I built a shed years ago, and like the other post I used house construction framing but with 2x3's rather than 2x4's, but as for concrete I didn't bother I just put 2' x 2' 1' deep filled with tamp limestone (gravel) then 12" blocks and then just built the floor right on top (nothing holding it, just weight) and one side was on a 30o slope and I am in Toronto where we get below freezing temps. I should point out that I built this for my dad about 18 years ago, and last summer I drove by the house, and the shed looked great. I don't know the soil in your area, but ours shifts, but with the lime base it was fine. Maybe speak with a representative at a lanscaping yard, and see if they can help you (it could save you time/money!)
Just a thought
hope it works for you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: