Particle Board vs. Plywood Subfloor

Old 12-15-04, 09:03 AM
AndyH
Visiting Guest
Particle Board vs. Plywood Subfloor

Hi, I'm putting down a sub floor over the existing floor in my front porch and converting it into an all season sunroom. I plan to carpet over the floor. Is there is difference between plywood and particle board in terms of insulation, strength, feel underfoot and durability? Which would be better for this job? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-04, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use either plywood or OSB. The Partical board will wick moisture like a sponge and deteriorate faster than Christmas will be here. You may have no warning of this deterioration until your foot goes through a hole. I wouldn't use anything less than 1/2 plywood or OSB however 3/4 would be much better. This usually depends on the spacing of the joists under the subfloor.
Both come with an interior and exterior side and must be applied correctly to last.

Good luck and reply back if you have further questions.

Old 12-15-04, 10:16 AM
AndyH
Visiting Guest
thanks! I will use plywood then. I was planning to just screw it down to the joists. Am i missing a step? Is there any other tip you have to properly install it?

Old 12-15-04, 11:01 AM
rlvarcoe
Visiting Guest
subfloor

Hi

I would add glue/subfloor adheasive on the joists before putting down and screwing the plywood. You seem to have all else under control

good luck