Can I move a beam support post?

Old 12-22-04, 02:34 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Post Can I move a beam support post?

I want to move a beam support post about 2 feet in either direction. The beam is made of micro-lamb (spelling?). The beam is maybe 40 feet long and it looks as there are 2 pieces micro-lamb nailed together side by side along the whole run of the beam. The beam consists of multiple pieces of micro-lamb nailed together side by side. I noticed that all of the beam support posts are located directly underneath where there is a splice in the the beam (where 2 pieces of micro-lamb butt-join so to speak). The beam support pole I want to move is located directly under one of these splices, the beam then continues for about 25 feet then meets the foundation wall. I wish I could attach a digital picture but don't know how... Can I relocate the pole from underneath the butting micro-lamb pieces without compromising the support? Please email me so as I can send a picture of the description above...description

Old 12-23-04, 07:24 AM
davekaplan
Visiting Guest
a few questions

Is this beam in a house? In the basement? The span between where the beam sits on the foundation and the post you want to move is 25'? What is beam supporting? How big (height and width) are the microlam (you were close) beams? How is the floor under the post? You need to have a good footing under that post, moving the post could include setting a new footing.

Are you planning to do this yourself? I just finished raising one of these doubled lvl (microlam) beams in a house I'm working on. I have a 30' beam with support at 16'. 25' sounds like a big span, but i think it would depend on how big the beam is and what you're supporting. I'd imagine moving the post closer wouldn't make much difference, but what's under the post and above the post might be more important. You would also want to keep the post centered under the lvls, just like it is. Nice and level too.

You should really talk to a structural engineer. The lumberyard near me has a staff of a few engineers, these guys are very helpful. I usually try and figure out as much as I can by asking and reading at sites like this one. But in the end the thumbs up from an engineer goes a long way for the confidence of messing with the structure of a structure. Try your local lumberyard. Check out this thread: "What I learned from a structural engineer."

new footing

Last edited by davekaplan; 12-24-04 at 07:55 AM. Reason: add link to thread
Old 12-23-04, 08:31 AM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
I will get back to you on the specifics

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a picture of the beam. The beam is in a unfinished basement of a 2 year old house. The basement floor is level concrete and the posts are anchored in with bolts, above the post I want to move is large living room with cathedral ceilings. The microlam is 12" wide by 1 3/4" wide x 2" thick (2 pieces of microlam are nailed together side by side). The span of the beam is 52 feet in length supported by 4 metal posts and on the ends it is supported by slots in the concrete foundation walls. The span between where the beam sits on the foundation and the posts is approximately 11 - 12 feet apart with a metal post approximately every 11 - 12 feet along the beam. The post I want to move is the post that is the second post from the end of the beam. I want to move it only 1 1/2 ' in either direction. But again there is a splice in one of the pieces of microlam right where the post sits now. The reason I want to move the post is becuase it is right in the way of traffic flow for my floor plan when I finish the basement. Hope this clears things up. Thanks again and merry Xmas!

Old 12-23-04, 03:08 PM
davekaplan
Visiting Guest
I saw the picture. Here it is in case someone is interested in getting in on this.

If there are 2 of these microlams nailed together are the splices or joints staggered? How many pieces make up one full run from end to end? Are there always posts under where the microlams are spliced? I would think you could move the post... is there another post supporting the next section... the idea of nailing the two together is that you get one solid beam.

Old 12-23-04, 06:19 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No.

No. You cannot.

Not, at least, without an engineer's approval, possible beam replacement, and the installation of a new concrete footing under the concrete slab to support the newl relocated post.

But then again, this 'beam' does not appear to be structural or a beam at all..

It appears to simply be a duct for your forced air/central air conditioning system.

You still should never attempt any post or beam alteration without professional oversight, however.

Have a pro examine the situation and advise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: