Plastic b/t pine sleepers & concrete?

Old 12-29-04, 04:59 PM
DavidFoster
Visiting Guest
Plastic b/t pine sleepers & concrete?

I'm laying sleepers on a concrete subfloor to provide a nailing surface for the final wood floor. I have 6 mil poly on top of the concrete. Do I need to use PT wood for the sleepers or can I use non-PT wood since it does not come in direct contact with the concrete?

I'm using the Ramset powder drivers, which work great, but it's hard to get a consistent depth on the pins, which I think is due to the varying denisity of the concrete below. I've started countersinking the nail heads and the plastic surround that goes along with it. I can't figure out a better way.

Thanks for anyone's comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 10:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Code

Code requires either treated lumber or naturally rot resistant lumber (oak,cypress,cedar, redwood, mahogany, teak, bamboo, or other) types of lumber to be placed against the concrete...

6 mil poly is NEVER required unless you can prove there is no 6 mil poly under the concrete as IS required by code....

"Sleepers" need to be be treated or any other type of rot and insect resistant lumber.

Old 01-02-05, 08:42 PM
The National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Association recommends at least 8 mill plastic over concrete to act as a vapor retarder. Then, at least 15# roofing felt over 3/4" plywood (OSB acceptable) subfloor for nailing 3/4" solid hardwood. You can find more information on the installation of wood over concrete using a sleeper system at www.nofma.org (National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Technical Manual).

Old 01-03-05, 05:16 PM
DavidFoster
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help - we are on our way now.

Old 01-03-05, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hardwood Manufacturers

Hardwood manufacturers do not and mostly will not warrant any hardwood product placed below grade.

If your concrete floor is below grade, you will have no warranty for most any hardwood no matter how you prep the floor.