Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracked Roof Truss

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 09:04 PM   #1  
Buckeye
Cracked Roof Truss

I am building a new house and the roofing contractor fixed a cracked truss (nearly all the way through), by sistering 2X4's to both sides of the truss. Is this a solid repair or will I have problems when I move into the house?

Sponsored Links

MO

01-06-05, 06:21 AM   #2  
Well I would have thought the contractor would have gotten the manufacturer to replace the cracked truss if it arrived that way, but probably a bit late for that now. The repair you described should be fine.

MO

01-10-05, 06:39 AM   #3  
I would insist

that the contractor get a sealed drawing from the manufacturer that the repair is done correctly. Most of the time a crack can be repaired in a manor similar to which you decribe. However depending on the forces in the truss the member may not be attached properly. Only the manufacturers plate company can correctly specify the repair. If notihing else do it for liabilty reasons. I think that would give the manufactuer an 'out' in case of a law suit.

OH

02-02-05, 03:56 PM   #4  
Wood Truss framing is a pretty redundant. While there is a chance that the repair is not structurally adequate on paper, the chances of it causing you problems is pretty slim.

Search this Thread