Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

building up floor

Visiting Guest

01-05-05, 07:28 AM   #1  
denisegw99
building up floor

I am putting in a shower, sink and toilet into what was a 4x 11 closet in our carport. Because the floor is concrete and falls below the floor inside the the house I need to raise the floor about 18 inches. I plan to have 2 steps up into the room. Please advise the best way to raise the floor to support the weight of bathroom facilities and a very heavy and clumsy brother who will be using the room. How do I frame it and support it underneath while allowing space for the plumbing? drawings would be great. Hubby flew the coop and I am having my 13 year old son help do this prior to the plumber coming in to rough in the lines. I have little money left to pay a carpenter.

Sponsored Links

01-05-05, 09:22 AM   #2  
I tried a drawing, didn't work so well , but here goes my attempt at 1000 words in place of it.

One way you could do it is to make 2 frame ups, basically so that the framing members cross each other. Make one with the joists running the 11ft. direction, and the other the 4 foot direction. If you use 2x8s that would be 15" plus 3/4" plywood, would, obviously be 15-3/4". If that's not high enough you should weigh the cost of another layer of plywood(if 16-1/2" would be enough) versus the cost difference for 2x10s(which would total 19-3/4" in height) instead of 2x8s. Whichever works for you would work, make the frame ups and stack them on top of each other (making sure to attach them together, which I'm sure I don't have to say, but ya never know), then put the plywood on top.

One thing to think about: Don't put the plywood on until after the plumber has come and gone. He will need to know how much, and how thick the plywood is, but I'm sure he won't want to work around it (and by work around it I mean rip it out and ruin all your hard work).

If this description isn't clear enough, or detailed enough, post back any questions and, if worse comes to worse, I can email a drawing of what I'm trying to say here. I have left out alot assuming that you may know what I mean, such as basic construction of the "frame ups" that I'm talking about, but I have no problem getting more detailed if necessary.

Search this Thread