Sagging floor joists

Old 01-05-05, 03:22 PM
hoopysmom
Visiting Guest
Sagging floor joists

After removing the carpet and particle board to ready the floor for hardwood, we have discovered the floors are not level. There is a finished basement under the area and when looking a the ceiling it looks flat. Its been suggested that we nail sister joists to the existing 2x10 joists to create a level edge. Would 2x6's work? Or do we need to sister 2x10's? The span is 28 feet and the existing joists are about 16 ft overlapping in the center on a large beam (which is exposed in the basement). Any suggested would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 01-06-05, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forums.

I would use 2"x8" as a minimum, since you've actually got a 14' span.

Old 01-06-05, 09:04 AM
hoopysmom
Visiting Guest
Awesomedell, thanks for the welcome and the reply. I usually hangout in the kitchen forum and just happened upon this forum. Lots if info here.

I'm still puzzled by the dimension of the sister joists. If I use a 2x8 to get my new straight edge for the plywood, would I need to add a support so the 2x8 rests on the side sill and the supporting beam. Or is it enough to glue and screw/nail the sister to the existing 2x10 joist? Because the span is 14', are you saying the 2x6 is not strong enough to support the new floor even tho it's glued and nailed to the joist?

Thanks again for your advise!

Old 01-06-05, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
2x10 at 14 feet span is at the limit.
2x12 would have been better depending on what grade the 2x10 are

cheers

pg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: