Renovating dog-damaged flooring

Old 01-05-05, 09:29 PM
ezscribe
Visiting Guest
Renovating dog-damaged flooring

My husband and I just purchased a repossessed house. We plan to fix it up and my dad (who just turned 70) wants to rent it from us.

We knew it needed work; especially the living room and den which were covered with carpet that a very large dog apparently spent a great many years availing himself as a toilet.

We pulled up the carpet in the LR and it had a rubberized pad. We thought the pad kept most of the urine off the underlaying floor, but when we pulled up the staples, we realized it had penetrated through the holes in the staples.

We plan now to pull up the underlayment. Will that be sufficient or will we need to replace the floorboards beneath that as well?

The Den carpet was placed over old hard vinyl tiles. Except for a few that were damaged (crushed) they seem to have held up well and do not have the odor problem that was in the living room. We plan to re-carpet over that.

Any comments or advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-05, 03:55 AM
In response to your main question(pull subfloor or not) and if the plan regardless of what I say is to remove at least the underlay, the best advice I can give right now is, go ahead, get that done, take a look at the main subfloor, and post back, it pretty much depends on how much damage is there, how extensive, and (although not a safety issue) how bad it smells. Post back what you find, even if it's so overwhelming one way or another that you don't need any further advice, so we know what happens.

EDIT...

BTW, if by floor boards, you mean the joists underneath, then my answer changes drastically. If the joists are so damaged that they need replaced (which I doubt would happen from dog urine), then you'll probably have to hire a contractor who is INSURED...WELL to do that.

Old 01-06-05, 06:49 AM
ezscribe
Visiting Guest
No. Under the plywood underlayments are what looks like 2 x 8s.

Actually, there was a layer of what LOOKED like tar paper -- black paper that my husband said looks like what you put down on a roof before you shingle it.

That is laid down over a floor made up of what looks like 2 x 8s.

They seem to be in good shape. No odor, etc.

So I guess what we need to do is lay down another layer of some sort of moisture barrier paper?? Maybe? Then a new underlayment? What materials should both those be made of?

Old 01-06-05, 02:25 PM
I'm assuming you mean 2x8s layed down, and NOT the joists (for the purposes of this, if i mean the framing members I'll say "joists", if I say "2x8s" I mean the subfloor). It probably was, in fact, tar paper, if the 2x8s are in good shape you shouldn't need any more of that (unless of course you plan on having a dog that you never let outside ), but if you want to, it won't hurt anything. So anyway, tar paper (or not) then 1/4" plywood glued and screwed. Fill the seems, sand smooth, then cover with whatever floor covering you plan on having..

If you're putting carpet in this room, you can probably get away with not filling and sanding the seems in the 1/4" plywood. Post back any other problems, and let us know how it turned out.

Old 01-07-05, 06:45 AM
ezscribe
Visiting Guest
That sounds great. Can you post pictures in these posts? I'll try to get a shot of it today and let you see what I'm talking about.

One more question: With what and how do you fill the seams?

We are probably going to carpet the living room, BUT I've seen some real attractive hardwood flooring options that may be just as cost effective.

You guys have NO idea how much anxiety you have alleviated!! We are hardly experts (heck, we don't even have enough pseudo-knowledge to qualify as *novices*!!), and we're old farts now (getting close to our 50s), so our stamina is a tad compromised!! (we take a lot of coffee breaks -- and pee breaks).

Anyway, off to the house to handle today's schedule!

Old 01-07-05, 07:16 AM
I was afraid you were going to ask that ...I know the stuff I'm talkin about, but can't think of a name brand or anything....its just floor filler...ask at the home center, tell em what you're doing, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. As far as the how, put on with a putty knife, and taper it out till it's pretty smooth, then sand it the rest of the way (unless you can get it pretty smooth with the knife...pretty smooth is smooth enough for most floor coverings...)