new addition. Where to start?

Old 01-09-05, 11:44 AM
higdonb
Visiting Guest
new addition. Where to start?

-I am in Florida where home costs have me thinking of adding to my existing home as new home costs are keeping me from moving up. I would like to extend my garage opening a family area where the existing garage is now and go up adding a loft or bedroom above. This would take me into the "setback" and have been told would need a variance. Need to know where to start? Architect? Any info would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-05, 01:00 PM
Start with the city

Start with entities that will or may have to give permission, whether it's structurally possible or not.

1. City planning department
2. Homeowner's association
3. Neighbors to whom the project would be visible

Next, the tax appraisal district office. How much will your taxes increase based on the square footage of conditioned space?
Are you investing money that could never be realized with a sale? If your house is already the largest on the block and you enlarge it, equity may not be retrievable, if that matters to you.

Old 01-09-05, 06:11 PM
Good advice as to where to start. You're going to need an architect and a general contractor. Talk to friends, family, or neighbors for references and get at least three bids prior to committing to anything. You can probably save yourself some money if you take on some of the work you can handle, but at the very least I would consider hiring it the basic construction, up to the point where it's dried in.