Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

how do you build a foundation for a 2 story..........

Old 01-15-05, 07:56 PM
mdman126
Visiting Guest

i am planing to build a room and another room on top of that, how do you build a foundation that is strong enough to hold this structure? i am turning my back patio into this plan and i will be attaching it to my old house,
i am here in CA. thanks

Old 01-15-05, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forums.

This is pretty ambitious project for a diyer to tackle on their own. Also your location being in Ca, you got more stringent building codes & regs to deal with than other areas of the country, especially the midwest where I'm located. In short I would highly recommend that you contact a local reputable contractor to discuss this project and consider letting a pro to the work at least up the point where it's framed up & dried in, then tackle the interior finish work yourself maybe.

Here's a link to the permit place, you can look up code & permit requirements for your project there. http://www.permitplace.com/links/CA.asp

You could post this up in the Concrete forum or the Arch & Codes forums, the pros up there may have some thoughts for you. Good luck.

Last edited by awesomedell; 01-16-05 at 09:22 AM. Reason: add permit link info
Old 01-16-05, 08:13 AM
J
Mdman,

I've heard similar questions like this asked before about can a one story house foundation accept a second story addition on top. The answer that I give is that a foundation for a one story house is the same as a two sory house whether it's a full basement or a slab in can accept it. I've never seen it as an issue.

So around here whether your building a one story home or a two story home the footings and the rest of the foundation are built the same whether it's a one story or two story unless there's something different in California.

Joe Carola

Old 01-16-05, 09:51 PM
mdman126
Visiting Guest
thanks

thanks a lot for the information guys.

Old 01-18-05, 02:09 AM
S
Here on the truly left coast, you will find that you will be required to submit a set of plans "wet stamped" by a civil or structural engineer.
The foundation WILL NOT be the same as that of a single story, and will be additionally affected by your areas specific soil condition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: