House WAY out of level

Old 01-18-05, 06:37 PM
House WAY out of level

A few years back I had a contractor remodel a house for me (its actually the reason I started doing my own work) After I ripped out the entire house - his crew came in and sheetrocked - I went to check out the job and one of the crew showed me something that REALLY amused him. He dropped something on the floor to show me how low one side of the house was. I wasn't amused and asked why they didn't tell me before sheetrock done so I could have jacked the house up - he responded that it was because I didn't ask them if house was level.

Okay now that venting is out of the way.....the house is really out - probably a good 5 - 6 inches over a 12 - 15' run.

How can this be fixed?

BTW For what its worth I measured floor to ceiling in basement and it 7' on both sides of house - I thought it was sagging but apparently its not.....Help

Last edited by kathie659; 01-18-05 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-05, 03:32 AM
Hi kathie,

I read this post last night, but thought this must be a typo.
Okay now that venting is out of the way.....the house is really out - probably a good 5 - 6 inches over a 12 - 15' run.

How can this be fixed?

BTW For what its worth I measured floor to ceiling in basement and it 7' on both sides of house - I thought it was sagging but apparently its not.....Help
How could you have done the demo on the place and failed to notice that the place was that far out of level. Was it built on a hillside or what?

Can you tell us a bit more about the construction of the house? Been around construction the better part of 30 yrs and have never heard of such.

Old 01-21-05, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
When you "ripped out the entire house" yourself and then hired a crew to come in after, you became the general contractor on the job.
I will assume that you asked for a quote to do the drywalling which is what they did.
They really have no place advising a general contractor, you or a pro, on other portions of the job.
That would be like expecting them to point out that your wiring in the walls is not to code.

Have a friend that had a similar situation in a rental he purchased.
He levelled the house and fixed the drywall after.

Old 01-21-05, 05:08 PM
Nope not the GC

The contractor who supplied the drywall crew did everything in the house except the tear out - I did that to save time & $$ - he was there fro every phase of "rebuild" , he supplied plumber/electrician and we discussed what would be left for me (i.e. he designed kitchen ordered & installed cabinets, i did counters/backsplash/sink - he ordered and installed doors & windows - I painted/stained and installed trim).

If I'd know it was out- I'd have leveled it before sheetrock was installed - I expect when having it leveled I'll lose some (but hopefully not all) the sheetrock - was just lookig for some ideas & experience.