Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Support for roof

Visiting Guest

01-18-05, 10:59 PM   #1  
jlegg
Support for roof

I have a newly framed 16' x 20' room addition on my house. The ridge board is a 2x8 with 2x6 rafters on 16" centers. The ridge board runs in the 20' direction. When I put the roof on I had to use a slope of roughly 2/12 due to a window above the roof peak. After installing the roof sheeting and shingles I noticed a slight sag in the roof's center ( about 1"). I am wondring if there is a way to bolster the support of the ridge board? Would installing a beam underneath it help stiffen it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

TX

01-19-05, 06:17 AM   #2  
Will it drain properly?

Wow - that's basically a flat roof.
Even if you were to put posts under the ridge beam all the way to the floor of the addition, the opportunity for water to get under the roofing and rot the structure is quite high.
I think that this is the wrong design for the roof. Design it as a flat roof and implement accordingly.

Visiting Guest

01-19-05, 09:51 AM   #3  
jlegg
I now understand that a flat roof would have been better, but I am past that point now. I was thinking of installing a steel beam directly under the ridge board. I think that might support it enough.

TX

01-19-05, 07:50 PM   #4  
Support yes, drainage no

Well, yes, there are various ways to increase the support for the midpoint of the roof and a steel beam is one.
Now there is a fully supported roof that is still prone to leakage.
Recommend that you consult a roofing contractor and ask him to treat it like a flat roof in terms of drainage and preventing water penetration. See what he says.

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 07:07 AM   #5  
jlegg
Thanks for the help. I am contacting a steel beam supplier today to get their input.

OH

02-02-05, 03:24 PM   #6  
the roof slope has no affect on roof load. you can fix it several ways and you can probably get away with engineered lumber, but I have a few questions:

would the beam span 16 or 20 feet?
did you install ceiling joists or are the rafters all there is?

Search this Thread