Load Bearing???

Old 01-30-05, 09:46 AM
AndyH
Visiting Guest
Question Load Bearing???

Hi. I am removing 3 windows that connect our living room to our sun room in order to open up space. In removing the windows I notice that the two colums between the windows are hollow (it's an old house and the columns contained the weights for the windows). If They are hollow I assume they are not load bearing and I can take them out too creating one large opening.
Is this a correct assumption?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 03:47 PM
Are they window weights?

Depending on how old the house these hollow areas could have been designed to allow for the window weights of older type windows. If this is the case they may still be weight bearing. If you have one header board spanning across both windows you may be correct but I would check how the header is designed.

Old 02-02-05, 02:57 PM
Nope. If the wall has windows, i have to assume it was an exterior wall at some point in the past. if that is the case, there is at least a fifty percent chance it is a bearing wall (assuming your house is square).

you need more solid info before you can safely remove the window jambs.

Old 02-03-05, 07:51 AM
I would say this is definitely a load bearing wall and the hoolow areas were indeed there for the window weights in the original windows. Treat this as a load bearing wall if you're going to open up this area into a doorway. Temporary supports need to be put into place to hold the ceilings securely in place while the windows are removed and the new header put into place. If you'll post back with more particulars on the proposed project, specifically how wide the proposed opening will be, we can advise you further on what size header needs to be built and installed.

Short answer, I think your original assumption was wrong.

Search this Thread