Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Move out exterior wall without beam

02-09-05, 11:20 AM   #1  
Move out exterior wall without beam

Is it possible to move out a non-gable end, exterior load-bearing wall a few feet without a beam/header underneath where the old load bearing wall used to be?

I was thinking having just a short, more shallow angled roof/rafter extension.

I have a few ideas in my head how this might work, but I don't think I could transfer any of the existing roof's load to the new, longer ceiling joists without a header/beam bisecting the new bigger room.

I know I should consult an engineer/arch prior to any work...

Thanks!
r_edgar

Sponsored Links

MO

02-13-05, 09:32 AM   #2  
I know I should consult an engineer/arch prior to any work
There's going to have to be a beam where the wall used to be, no way around it I'd say, but follow your own advice before proceeding with demo.

02-14-05, 08:24 AM   #3  
Talked to a friend/contractor this weekend. If anyone cares, here's a scenario he said may be possible. Embed beam near where the old ceiling joists terminate, attach with hangers. Embed cripples in the walls to hold up beam. New, lower slope rafters proceed over the beam (or birds-mouth over it) and attach to "extender joists" which are hanger-ed to the other side of the new beam.

Depending on the mechanics necessary, the beam may thus be able to be completely embedded in the ceiling which would be great.

CAL

02-14-05, 08:44 AM   #4  
This scenario can work, but you _need_ to hire and Architect or Engineer to make sure the beam is properly sized. In addition, getting the beam into position may be difficult since you are proposing to place it above the ceiling joists and below the roof rafters - it will have to be inserted from one end (gable end - thru the exterior wall).

Search this Thread