Basement Shower Subfloor

Old 02-17-05, 01:38 PM
Jooced
Visiting Guest
Basement Shower Subfloor

Hi all, I hope this is in the right place - it involves basements (different section), subfloors (different section) and of course this area of bathroom knowledge.

As we finish our basement I was wondering what I should do about our subfloor where our shower is. We have a Lasco 48x36 shower. Our subfloor will be Delta-FL covered with 1/2 plywood. Now, should I laydown the Delta then cover it with treated plywood then place the shower on top of that? Should I just leave the shower on the cement and place the Delta and plywood up to the front edge of the shower? Any other options?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-19-05, 05:13 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You won't get a better setting bed for tile than your slab. If you were to tile, then the 1/2" would not be enough under backer and in any case, you would have a huge buildup around your shower pan. I would either
1)dam the area of the footprint of the shower base and pour self leveling cement to the height of the subfloor in the shower pan footprint and use AC plywood as the subfloor to accept vinyl or pour slc over the entire bath area to raise the height of the floor to match the flooring height outside the bath area for tile by damming the doorway and the perimeter of the room to preserve a 1/4" expansion gap around the room. Slc's require the cement to be primed first. Or a less expensive method would be to mud the whole floor by using a mix of sandmix and sand, sand mix is sand and portland in a 3-1 ratio. Use 4 shovelfulls of sandmix to 2 shovel fulls of sand, blend together to get a 5-1 mix of sand and porland and mix with water until it's wet enough to pack without crumbling. Using screed guides the height you need (willneed to be a minimum of 1" thick) use a slurry of thinset on the slab as a bonding agent and pack the mix and shave by draggin a straight edge over your screed guides. As you progress, pull the screeds and fill the gullies from the screeds with more mud while it's still wet. You will need to preserve a 1/4" gap around the room for expansion of your walls. So it all depends on the type of flooring you are choosing.

Old 02-21-05, 07:51 AM
Jooced
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tilebri,

We actually aren't planning on using tile. The shower is a two peice fiberglass Lasco.

The question I really need answered is if we bother putting the shower on the slab or put the shower on treated plywood over the Delta-FL. We'll use plaster to support the base of the shower as suggested in the installation directions but what that plaster and the shower goes on top of is my question.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: