Replace a rotted sill?

Old 02-14-05, 02:05 PM
Replace a rotted sill?

Not sure what the board is called that runs across the concrete slab foundation (sill?). An interior bathroom wall, which is runs near the top of the roof, has had water damage. Single story house. I haven't removed the ceramic tile that the water leaked through yet, but I am sure the lumber behind it has been soaked slowly for months. I suspect that I will have to replace the bottom parts of the studs and the sill (name?) that connects the slab to the studs. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Tyger52; 02-14-05 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake and missing info
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 06:22 AM
hi
usually the botom plate is pressure treated lumber.
It will dry up

cheers
pg

Old 02-15-05, 08:35 AM
MaineWoods
Visiting Guest
Depends on the house. My house is about 30 years old. The daylight basement side of the foundation only went about 3 inches above grade, and didn't have gutters, so any rain splashed down into the dirt right next to the house and splashed up. The entire sill plate the length of the house was rotted straight through. No termites or other bugs, just from water. Needless to say, it wasn't pressure treated lumber. Now it is.

But if you're only talking a few months, you're probably fine. Get it dry. Maybe treat it with some borate to insure you don't get any future rotting. But definately check out the framing and sill plate to make sure you don't have any mold problems growing there.

Enjoy,
-Sean