To Plumb or Not To Plumb

Old 02-25-05, 09:24 AM
To Plumb or Not To Plumb

This choice is nagging me, so I'll ask the experts.

I'm rebuilding the first story of a small two-story slab duplex (water damage, age, settling). Two of the first-story exterior walls are removed, the floors are beamed up and leveled, and I'm ready to build-in-place a new 2x6 perimeter stud wall up to the rim joists. The rim joists were/are twin roughsawn 2x6s parallel to the 2x6 floor joists; there was no top plate beneath them.

I've determiined that the upper story's outer perimeter (bottom plate, flooring, rim joists parallel to the floor joists) extends outward about one inch from plumb relative to the lower story's sill plate. In building the new wall, how do I make up that one-inch (about one degree) difference? Do I just locate a new top plate at the rim-joist perimeter and connect the top/bottom plates with studs at a 91-degree angle, like they used to be? Or, should I build the studwall at true plumb up to the new top plate, and just let the rim joists cantilever out one inch without worrying about it?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-05, 05:32 AM
Just my .02 here as I'm not a structural engineer, but on an old bldg like this, I'd build it back like it was before. How long did it stand before this remodeling? Also it would seem to me that you'd be creating problems for yourself when you get around to putting siding back on the place if you don't, although I suppose you could put some shims in there for that purpose. I'd still build back to original. Have fun!

Last edited by awesomedell; 02-26-05 at 05:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-05, 07:07 AM
Dell,

Upon further review, of course you're right. That's what I'm gonna do. It was standing that way for fifty years or so until the water and termites got it, so who am I to mess with that?

Old 02-27-05, 07:08 AM
Dell,

Thanks for the $2.02

Upon further review, of course you're right. That's what I'm gonna do. It was standing that way for fifty years or so until the water and termites got it, so who am I to mess with that?

Search this Thread