Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sagging/Inclining floors in the bathroom

02-27-05, 09:26 AM   #1  
Sagging/Inclining floors in the bathroom

Our house was built in 1930. We bought it 6 month ago. Now when we decided to remodel the bathroom, we noticed that the floors in the bathromm and in the adjasent hallway are inclining/sagging ~1-1 1/8 of a inch in a span of 3ft. The bathrooom is on the second floor. The doorway is also un even. We have not removed the old flooring yet, but I am terrified what would I see there. Do you think it is structural ? Would it require jacking ? How would we do that on the second floor ? What are my best case and worst case scenarios ? An what would the the cost in either ? (I doubt I will be able to handle it myself)

Thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

03-01-05, 05:11 AM   #2  
Hard to say what will be found under the subfloor, best bet is to have 2 or 3 reputable local contractors give you some bids on the project. This could be from settling, water damage from the bathroom which has cause framing members to begin rotting, who knows. Get some bids and post back with their scope of work in the bids and prices bid. We can go from there.

Visiting Guest

03-20-05, 01:34 PM   #3  
houseframer
its hard to say since the house is so old, it could be from settling, and rotting lumber, but i would also check to make sure no bearing walls have been knocked out of the house. if so you could always install a 3 ply 2x10 beam.

Search this Thread