Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

16" or 24"

02-27-05, 09:11 PM   #1  
16" or 24"

I am building a stand alone workshop (1 room) 25X20 inside of my 800 sq ft shop.

do I need 16 or 24 inch centers. Plan to use sheetrock on innner what would you suggest for outter. May use the top of the room for storage etc 1000lbs at the most. 2x4 or 2x6 walls??

Must be a dry as possible inside. Which insulation wetc should I ue as this my machine room.

Thanks
John1

Sponsored Links

MO

02-28-05, 03:34 AM   #2  
Well most shops like you're talking about are framed up on 2' centers and that is what I'd suggest for this as well. For your outer sheeting, osb would be fine provided you're planning on covering it with some type of exterior finish, like siding, stucco, etc. You could also look into covering the entire exterior, (roof &walls) with metal, alot of these type of bldgs are built in my area using what is known as Pro Panel, this is a ribbed metal, you can buy it in either 26 guage or 29 guage in a wide variety of colors, the material is very durable and maint. free. No need to paint for at least the first 20-25 yrs anyway. Here's a link to a company site that manufacturers it, there are a few others as well, I just have this one in my bookmarks as it is what's sold thru the lumber yard I regularly get material from. http://www.centralstatesmfg.com/products.html This has become quite popular here in the rural midwest for roofs and there are more and more new homes being completely clad in it.

Another option for the exterior is a product that is know as carhart siding. This material comes pre-primed, but must be painted after installing and regularly afterwards every 5 yrs or so depending upon conditions. This is sold in 4'x 8' sheets and is a plywood product, the inside is smooth and the outer side has ribs every 6" or so and looks pretty good insalled vertically, don't care much for the look when installed horizontally, but have seen it put up that way a few times.

You mentioned using drywall for the interior walls, I would definitely recommend using 5/8" rock if you do indeed decide to go this way. I've seen quite a few work shops that used 1/2" OSB on the interior which is simply primered with white primer to lighten up the space, but it's far more durable and resistant to damage from thing bumping or rubbing against it than drywall would be.

I would use either faced batts of insulation for the this or you could go with unfaced and then put a poly moisture barrier over it before closing up the walls. Hope that helps some, post back if you have more questions.

02-28-05, 05:47 PM   #3  
Thank you for a great in depth response.

This "room" is "iside" of an 800 sq foot building so no siding per say is needed

John1

OH

02-28-05, 06:08 PM   #4  
2x4 studs at 24" is fine for the walls. for the "lid" you probably need 2x12 and want to span the 20' direction. you could use 2x10's but it might get a bit spongy if you put any storage weight above it.

personally i would use 2x12 at 24" and match up joists to studs.

the outside sheathing doesnt really matter, drywall paints best though. osb stands up better to abuse.

Visiting Guest

03-20-05, 01:09 PM   #5  
houseframer
personally i would go with 2x6 at 24" on center for the walls and go with 2x10 at 12" on center for the joist's because 20' is a pretty big span for the kind of weight, and that way every other joist will land on a stud

Search this Thread