3" Wood screws for studs?

Old 02-28-05, 10:42 AM
3" Wood screws for studs?

Replacing some water damaged studs with either pressure treated or redwood studs. Employee at Home Depot told me exterior 3" screws would be fine instead of nails. I want to use screws but not sure if I got the right size or type. Is 3" long enough to toe screw the stud to the floor sill board and the top boards (joist) above? I was going to put two screws in on one side of the stud connecting to the sill and another screw on the other side to connect to the sill. The same for the top board. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 11:02 AM
screws should never be used. most screws are very brittle. try this take a 2x4. put a nail in it and a screw. hit the nail. usually bends but doesnt break. now hit the screw. you will see what happens. i would use 16d nails and toe nail the top and bottom to the top and bottom plate. remember make sure the studs are plumb and square.
hth

Old 02-28-05, 11:13 AM
Wink

With Tect75 go with the 16d nail there.

ED

Old 02-28-05, 05:51 PM
if you decide to use pressure treated studs, i would reccomend stainless fasteners whether nails or screws. instead of p.t. studs i would address the water issue.

as for the fasteners, i would go with whatever is easiest to install. if you have a situation where the screws are breaking or the nails are pulling out, you will probably be on your way out of kansas anyway.