Potential subfloor problem

Old 03-08-05, 05:08 AM
Potential subfloor problem

My husband and I have been building a weekend house for some time. It is a Polysteel concrete/foam house built over a crawlspace. We built the main support beams ourselves and have been concerned about it being undersized. The main beam is a ‘sandwich’ beam built from 3 - 2x8 boards and 2 - 8” wide strips of plywood all nailed and glued together, staggering all seams. The footprint of the house is 44x26 (inside dimensions) and the main beam spans the entire 44 feet with each end resting fully in a concrete pocket. Approximately every 8 feet there is a similar beam running perpendicularly underneath the main beam for support. These secondary beams are resting on large concrete footings (5 ft deep). We then have the floor joists resting on the main beam. I have called several structural engineers but because of the remote location have been unable to get someone willing to come and take a look at it. Normally my husband over-engineers everything but in this case we just don’t know. We have continued on with construction and the house/floor is very solid – of course we put a double layer of OSB down to eliminate any squeaking. We noticed right away the center sagged about one inch but were unsure if it was because we may have installed the joists about an inch high on the outer walls. Fortunately, we have only one interior wall so the main concern is the weight of the main floor. Our plan of attack is to dig out under the main beam and try to pour 5 individual concrete posts as additional support. There is hardly any room in which to work so we are trying to brain storm other ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks (I just discovered this website and love it!)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 11:40 PM
I think you're fine Sue with what you've got. You might want to run this by the engineer types up in the Architecture & Codes forum. What size are your floor joists? BTW, welcome to the forums.

Old 03-11-05, 07:48 AM
The floor joists are green-treat 2x8. Great idea on posting to the Architecture & Codes.
Thanks!

Old 03-11-05, 06:19 PM
Hope they can help ya out a bit more. Good luck with the house.