level sloped floor

Old 03-14-05, 08:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
level sloped floor

Scoping out a project in my daughter's house. They have a dining room/entryway that was formerly a covered porch. Approx. 19 by 11. Previous owner enclosed it, but just laid plywood (and stick on tile) over the existing 2x10 floor joists - which were set at an incline. Floor inclines approx. 3 inches across the 11'. 11' joists run 16" oc. Project is to level this floor and install laminate throughout house.
My Plan A is to run sleepers, 16" oc, directly on top of existing plywood, and at right angles to existing joists. This would permit me to rip the sleepers to correct height, rather than trying to taper them. Plywood would be laid on top of sleepers to match height in rest of house. Then laminate throughout. Would this be acceptable? Plan B is to lay the sleepers, cut at a taper, directly on plywood but parallel (and directly over) existing joists.
Plan C, my least desirable, is to remove current plywood and install new (level) floor joists (sistered) probably using ledger boards nailed to rim between existing joists to help hold new joists, as well as nailing to sister joist. This plan seems like more work than necessary, so hopefully plan A is acceptable.
House is over a crawl space- with no workable access under this area.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 03-14-05, 10:17 PM
I'd go with plan A if that works out good for laying floor uninterupted throughout the house. When you rip the sleepers down to height, tilt the blade on the table saw for the angle on the slope. Practice first with some 2'-3' scraps to get the angle right and then just leave the blade at that angle and rip to desired height. What kind of laminate are you going with?

Old 03-15-05, 08:13 AM
B
Thanks. I don't think they have picked out a Hardwood laminate yet. Something not too expensive as they don't plan to stay in this house more than 3-4 years.

Old 03-18-05, 10:28 AM
Hardwood laminate
That's a contradiction in terms if I ever heard one. Sorry just not a fan of laminate flooring. I'd opt for a real wood floor, it'll look better and ad resale value down the road. Just my .02 there.

Old 03-18-05, 01:12 PM
B
I agree

As to "Hardwood Laminate" I have to agree. I am old fashioned (along with just plain old) about a real wood floor. But it's not my house- or my budget, so I guess I guess I'll be installing a material defined as " a photograph of hardwood embedded onto a laminate."

Old 03-18-05, 02:05 PM
Alas we all do what we gotta do sometimes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: