Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Putting a room in the attic

03-15-05, 11:27 AM   #1  
Putting a room in the attic

I have a bungalow and had to go in the attic for the first time last night. When I first went up I noticed that the middle is wide open and thought it would be very cool to put a 14 X 18 play room for the kids up there. I can easily stand up in it and would have to crouch on the sides but it's still big enough for the young ones. Is it possible for me to build a room up there. I have enough room for stairs. How can I find some info on this. I am very handy so doing the work myself and having it inspected is not a problem.

Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links

03-15-05, 11:37 AM   #2  
I am moving your post so you can get the answers you need. Good luck on your project.

03-19-05, 01:32 AM   #3  
Having it inspected *is* a problem, because though you consider it a kids' playroom it'll have to conform just as any living space. The city won't take your kids for the yardstick, rather the *theoretical* occupant. Better call this a "finished storage loft", or the project could become... very interesting. Consider fire exits, for example.

Hmm. Do consider fire exits, regardless of permit.

Search this Thread