Question about skirting installation...

Old 03-21-05, 02:02 PM
texan279
Visiting Guest
Question about skirting installation...

New here, just bought a mobile home last November and since then the skirting and skirting rails have some off 3 times. I thought maybe it was just from the wind that we have in the country, but the last time it came of I drove through the whole neighborhood and everyone else's was fine. I was just wondering if anyone here knows the proper way to install mobile home skirting and rails. After looking at mine, the contractor who did the work used some kind of adhesive to attach the bottom rails to the concrete slab, then placed the boyyom of the skirting in the bottom rails and then placed the top of the skirting between the top rail and the house. After looking at it and thinking it would seem he should have used a little more than a little adhesive to attach the bottom rails to the slab. Does anyone here know the proper way to install the skirting?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-05, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume you have the vinyl underpinning. Usually it is secured at the bottom and a piece nailed or screwed to the trailer with the rest just snapped into place. My son used to have a trailer that one end always came off until we installed some wood framing to better secure it, problem solved. Also the higher your trailer is the more supsectible the underpinning is to wind. If the bottom rest on a slab try drilling and securing with tap con screws.

Old 03-25-05, 10:30 PM
texan279
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help, my problem is that the skirting has blown off twice in four months and I am pretty sure it is because of improper installation and the wrong materials. The ground channel looks like it was attached to the slab with silicone, not liquid nails like I have been told it is supposed to be. The ground channle keeps coming off. I had a contractor at my house yesterday that looked at it and laughed and said the job was done horribly and I will probably have to have someone take all of the skirting off and start all over from scratch. Luckily, the house is still under warranty, but Fleetwood is trying to screw me over.

Old 03-27-05, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Atleast it's under warranty. The squeaky wheel gets greased first so don't be shy about making a pesk of yourself. Bug them often and maybe they will get tired of hearing from you and take care of it. If not it shouldn't be that big of a job to do yourself. If liquid nail is what is used and works in your region all you need to do is remove the bootom channel clean the concrete, chaulk a line [to make sure it stays straight] reapply, let dry then reinstall the panels. Wish you luck.

Old 07-30-05, 04:05 AM
Skirting

The top and bottom rail need to be secure.
The pannels float. They should be cut short at < 1/2 the width of the tracks .
Crimping (you need the tool) at the top and bottom so that the lip of the tab can catch the lip of the tracks.
If you have a high elevation or high wind areas, you may have to brace the
back side to prevent the pannels from flexing. This can be done with wood or the skirting mfg. may offer a product for this problem.

I don't think the Mfg. (Fleetwood) will be involved in skirting issues unless they were the retailer also. The retailer is who you need to deal with.

Old 11-17-05, 05:37 PM
DGourley
Visiting Guest
We use rawl plugs to secure our skirting boom track. These require a 1/4" hole drilled into the concrete and the plug hammered in. Do this about every 3' and the bottom track is not going anywhere.