Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Securing Wind Blown Skirting?? Help??

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 08:55 AM   #1  
Holly8408
Securing Wind Blown Skirting?? Help??

My skirting on my house keeps getting blown out! I have been told that it could be secured by a wood frame, but I have no idea how. When I call places that fix this they recomend a putting a metal rail on the bottom (which currently I have vinyl). They have even screwed the top of the panel to the house and the bottom to the vinyl rail, but the wind rips the vinyl away leaving the screw still in the house. Does anyone know the best way to secure skirting that keeps getting blown off?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-05-05, 09:50 AM   #2  
You will need additional bracing. A wood frame behind the underpining would work well, metal also works well. If you use wood be sure to use treated woood. Although a metal rail at the bottom would help I doubt it would secure it good enough. The problem you have is probably aggravated by the distance from the ground to the trailer. This is why you were told to use framing. Basicly you are adding support to the vinyl so it won't flex so much in the wind. When you build a wood frame [or metal] you then secure the vinyl [not to tight] to the frame reducing the flopping that rips the underpinning loose.

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 10:08 AM   #3  
Holly8408
Ok..... Thanks for the information. Now, since I am a woman and new to this, I need to understand. A wood frame would be constructed how? Would I need to secure 2x4's vertically in the ground and then also horizontally? Then I would screw the vinyl panels to the horizontal 2x4? Sorry....I am trying to do this on my own without help.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-05-05, 01:59 PM   #4  
Correct. Most of the support you need is in the middle. Make sure the 2X4's in or at the ground are treated. Use 1X's or 2X4's for your horizonatal slats. Drill a hole in the vinyl slightly larger than the screw then screw to slats. You don't want to screw it tight because the vinyl flexes with temp changes and would bow if not allowed to move slightly. Once you get started I believe you will find it easier than you thought. Wish you luck.

Search this Thread