New Kitchen Subfloor

Old 04-19-05, 02:29 PM
New Kitchen Subfloor

I am renovating my 10' X 14' kitchen. I removed the old flooring and I am now down to the old 3/4" X 12" boards across 2" X 6" joists 16" on center. We are planning to put down ceramic tile and I would like to have the elevation match the existing hardwood flooring on each side of the kitchen as much as possible.

I was planning to install a layer of 1/2" plywood this week. My question, would there be any benefit to install a layer of rosin paper prior to the plywood?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 01:37 AM
my 2 cents

Hi
Heres my 2 cents worth
I am renovating my 10' X 14' kitchen. I removed the old flooring and I am now down to the old 3/4" X 12" boards across 2" X 6" joists 16" on center. We are planning to put down ceramic tile and I would like to have the elevation match the existing hardwood flooring on each side of the kitchen as much as possible.

I was planning to install a layer of 1/2" plywood this week. My question, would there be any benefit to install a layer of rosin paper prior to the plywood?

reply:
2x6 center and 3/4x12 baord i'm not sure but it's not strong enough to have tile over it.
the floor will spring and the tiles will crack.
You need to brace the under floor before you lay tile over it.
You can used 15 lbs felt paper non perforatted under the plywood also

cheers

pg

Old 04-20-05, 08:23 AM
2x6's running more than 7 ft are questionalbel for ceramic at 16" oc spacing. Oly the addition of a load bearing wall underneath to ensure the joists are supported every 7' max will bring it up to par for ceramic. Your minimum over that will be 1/2" bc or better exterior plywood--Don't go out and buy sheathing rated plywood. Then a layer of 1/4" cement board set into a bed of unmodifed thinset. THis will be 3/4" high and will bring the floor in plane with the adjacent hardwood. Another option would be to add 3/8" exterior rated bc or better ply and then use Schluter Ditra as your underlayment (installed it is only 1/8" thick). Once you set your tile, the height difference will be 3/16" or less. With the cement board method, you'd be looking at about a 1/2" step up. Your plywood layer should be oriented with the face grain perpendicular to the joists, with a 1/4" perimeter gap and 1/8" between sheets. As it crosses the joists, sheets should end about 4" past the joist and only screw it to the subfloor, not into the joists and do not use glue. Post back with any other questions. No rosin paper, just ply over the planks, screwed down every 6" over the face for 3/8 or every 8" for 1/2"