What kind of floor?

Old 04-30-05, 05:20 PM
Durango53
Visiting Guest
Question What kind of floor?

I have a ranch style house with a one-car garage on the side. You have to step down a 1' 1/2" down to the garage floor. I want to turn the garage into a den and bathroom. What kind of floor would be best to put down? I am thinking of leaving the step down but what would be the best floor for turning this into living space? I am thinking of 2x4's with foam insulation under it. I fear of a mouse or something though getting under that and dieing and having some smell then. Just wondering what you all think and would be best?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 08:14 AM
Garage sub Floor

You might consider a product called Dri Core. It comes in 2x2 squares. It is made for saub flooring in garages and basements. A little spendy, but worth every cent. You can put any kind of finished floor on it you want. Vinyl, carpet, etc. Good Luck

Old 05-13-05, 08:55 PM
use 2x2 pt sleepers at 16" o.c. and put standard subfloor on it. it will give you a great floor that doesnt feel like a garage.

Old 05-31-05, 12:31 PM
Durango53
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the ideas. I will look into them.

Is the Dri Core a good insulator? Live in Wyoming so I would like one in the winter time that you won’t freeze your feet off on.

I was thinking along the lines of the 2x2 with some insulation in it. But if this Dri Core can do it I might go with that. I will have to look into it.

Old 06-01-05, 08:55 AM
pitch

Don't forget that your garage floor is probably pitched. You will want to account for that as you'll want the new floor level. Not sure what your plans are for plumbing the new bathroom, in particular the drains. Perhaps you will need more clearance under the subfloor to account for this than 2x2. I assume you will have to break up concrete someplace to tie into existing drain lines, but depending on placement, your new pipe may have to run along the floor for a bit. And as always, make sure you get the required permits.